Page Two !!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Drive By Shootings

Its become addictive and obsessive. I spend hours planning them, and the thrill of successfully executing a drive by is tantalising.

OK, now that I've got your attention, and my mom's heart rate has reached a dangerous rate, let me explain.

Taking photos in the streets of Durban is a dangerous pastime. Carry an expensive camera with you, and all of a sudden, everyone is out to mug you, and rob of your camera and more importantly, the memory card. Well, that's what it feels like. I don't have a sweet boyfriend or hubby to ask to play bodyguard and protect me while I take photos. Taking photos on one's own, in relatively safety, means a boring trip around Botanical Gardens. Been there, done that, didn't get the T-Shirt.

So what other options did I have? Drive by shootings, of course! I even use my Canon....

I hop in the car, and drive around Durban, taking photos if I see something that catches my eye, and doesn't prevent me from concentrating on my driving too much. Its fairly safe, except of course, if I was hijacked, I would lose both the car and the camera. But that's what insurance is for, and anyway - an upgrade in both departments would suit me. I'll be the most obliging hijack victim around. Sies, don't tempt fate, I hear you say, but its a national SA pastime - waiting for the inevitable mugging or hijacking to happen, just so that you can screw the insurance company over, in revenge for them screwing you over with their unjustified rate hikes....

But I digress.

Back to the opening image - me shooting people down, driving by and gunning them to the ground. Gangster style. Errrrr, not quite. But its a cool description of what I do, and I think its apt. Except all I'm doing is shooting photos, while I drive.

I've got some really good images of Durban street life. I've driven around on Sunday afternoons, which is probably the best time to negotiate the roads. There are still lots of pedestrians around, but a lot less cars. So the people side of the city is revealed. Yes, its grungy and poor, but its the city centre. Gone are the days when Smith and West Street used to be the mecca of upmarket shops and department stores. Now they are the mecca for street sellers and anything goes - scarves, fruit and veg, shoes, knives. It provides for some fantastic photographic opportunities, if you are into that kind of thing.

I drove around Pinetown last week. The people in the taxi rank were giving me strange looks, but that's probably because I drove around that area for ages. My Jazz blue Polo certainly doesn't blend in, but then neither do I, white skin and all. Thankfully the tinted side windows prevent too much looking into the car. But I got some awesome shots. It had been raining overnight, so it was dark and cloudy, and there were lots of puddles on the road. This provided for an excellent photo opportunity. As I drove along, I spotted the zebra crossing and saw that lots of people were using it. The mom and daughter caught my eye, because the girl had such a bright jacket on, it contrasted beautifully with the dark grey sky. That's when I saw the huge puddle, and the reflection. Thankfully the road was full of cars, so mom and daughter had to stop for a few seconds. That's when I took my photos. Luckily the mom was facing me when I snapped the shot. I think it makes for a great shot. Simple, but evocative.







I took Michele, a fellow amateur photographer on a 'learner' drive by last Thursday. It was most amusing trying to teach someone how to take photos while driving. I guess it is actually a difficult task, one that I perhaps shouldn't actually be admitting to. But Officer, I actually stop the car when I shoot, err, take the photo! Michele got the basics, but I think she thinks I'm mad. Which is probably what you are thinking right now. But I'm safe, to a degree, and most importantly, I'm getting out and taking photos. And that's whats important.

And no, I'm not actually shooting anyone. As they say - No animals or people were harmed in the shooting of this photo.....

No comments:

Post a Comment